Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Brilliant City of Canterbury

So as of a few days ago, we are all moved into the University of Kent in Canterbury. It's what you would think of as the typical English countryside. One of my new British friends said its known as the "garden of England." It's so green and full of open fields...I'll post on the campus later.
Anyways, people are really nice here. Kevin and I met the Christian Union and made a lot of new friends. They are so funny. We asked them what were some typical American foods and they said "apple pie, PB & J's and Reese's peanut butter cups, oh and hot dogs!" We told them that we had pb and j's that day and they were amazed. "So American, how cute", I guess. More like we don't have any pots or pans yet and we were hungry. But they are really great people, I can't wait to learn more about them. 
So yesterday, we went into our city of Canterbury. It's about a 30-40 minute walk....it's kinda long. I think that Kevin thought it was short but hey, potato, pahtahto. The walk is through a lush foresty woodland and through fields and then houses that resemble Privet Drive, but still its kinda far.
As we got into the main heart of town, it looks like Disneyland...only it's actually old.
 

We passed places that were around during the middle ages, now turned into Starbucks. It happens.

There was a gentleman selling fruit. I bought some strawberries, honey pears, greengages, which are like plums but they are sweet, tart, and have this pleasant green taste. They were all grown from around Kent, which I love. There is a Kent Food & Wine Festival that I am excited for this weekend. 
We visited the Canterbury Cathedral, it was AMAZING.


Founded in 602, the cathedral is one of oldest in England.


It is the cathedral for the Archbishop of Canterbury who is the  leader for the Church of England.
Then we got much needed kitchen supplies which are a lot cheaper here than in America, surprisingly. We ate lunch at a Thai place but the building from from the middle ages. It was really cool to see the thai elephant paintings hung on a white plaster wall with wood beams. 
I can't wait to explore this city more, it's a perfect town. Not too small and not to large. There are a bunch of places to get food too, that makes me a happier person.
Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. I love this post spencer! I'm not sure what green would taste like, but those fruits sound delicious haha. I wish I were there with you to experience these things, but alas. I hope that you are growing closer to God in all this. Grace and peace,
    Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So enjoyed your blog, son. Beautiful pictures and SO much history. Keep on enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spinner. Baby Shamar. This is incredible. I can't believe that you get to see all of these things in real life. I'm going to church now and we'll skype afterward:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails