Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Lord Provides. He really does.

God has really blessed me in so many ways. We are pretty much settled here in Canterbury. We have been to the city a few times now and we know our way around.
The city of Canterbury is what I imagine the stereotypical English countryside to be: huge, lush fields of grass dotted with oak trees, a clean, non polluted river full of fish and moor hens instead of plastic soda bottles and floating chip bags, and old brick buildings that have been around hundreds of years before our country even existed. There is so much character to it. It's just so......so...English. I don't know how else to put it.

This past week has been Freshers' Week, like our welcome week. So there has been no classes, or modules as they call them. Kevin and I have made a lot of friends at the Christian union on campus. They are really great people. Sometimes we just sat and talked for hours on a grassy hill overlooking the city and the cathedral. I guess that's no big deal to them. I think otherwise.

We also have been planning a lot of our trips throughout Europe. I mean, who wouldn't? We are going to meet up with our friend, Janice, who is studying in Cordoba, Spain. So far, we have booked Barcelona, Switzerland, Germany, Paris, and London. Hopefully, we'll get to Greece, Rome, Italy in general, and Vienna or Copenhagen (Which one is better? We need advice). So our flight to Bremen, Germany is only 10 pounds ($15) round trip. Isn't that a boondoggle (new word my mom says all the time)? Not all the flights are like that but still flying around Europe is pretty reasonable. Oh, we also found out we can take a bus to Dover. You know, white cliffs of Dover. Then take a ferry from Dover to Calais, France for only 8 pounds. I'm excited.

I am also really excited because we found a church here. We went this morning. It's called The City Church Canterbury. One of the main concerns I had was finding a church here. I was really involved in my church last past couple years in San Diego and I wanted to find a place where I could grow in and meet a body of Christ followers. It was the request I shared when we did the rock prayers with my friends at the very end of summer. God is so good! He provided this church; it's great. They meet at Canterbury High School, just like how Flood meets at Kearny High school. The congregation is mostly made up of students as well. They started a series called "How to be truly Happy" and we are going to go through the Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew.

Today, our pastor, Tom, shared about how our culture elevates the self but in reality we need to lower ourselves. It's so true, we are all broken people and we need a Savior to rescue us from the wrong things that we do. We are so blessed that we do not have to rely on our own doings but that we are saved by God's grace alone. That is something that we all could use a reminder in; read Romans 4 if you get the change today. It feels so good to have a church here; my heart is full of joy.

By the way, the chocolate is unbelievable here. I finished off my huge Galaxy bar while writing this post. Kevin is quite happy about that. Shelty, I'll bring some back don't worry.

Here are some pictures of Canterbury from the past few days. 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. that first picture is gorgeoussss. and only 10 pounds?!!! waaaat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails