Saturday, November 6, 2010

Remember, Remember the Fifth of November.

So I think a lot of us have heard that saying from V from Vendetta but I had no idea what it was really from. Turns out its an English holiday. I'll let my friends explain.
What they were trying to say was in 1605, a guy named Guy Fawkes and other English Catholics conspired to assassinate protestant King James I by blowing up the Parliament building in London and replace him with the Catholic head of state. He was caught while the other conspirators fled. He was convicted of high treason and was executed.
To celebrate the spoiling of the conspiracy, the English have Guy Fawkes Night on the fifth of November. They create an effigy of him and put him in a massive bonfire, kinda morbid if you ask me. There are usually tons of fireworks as well. Canterbury was hosting a bonfire on Tyler Hill in an open field near campus. We all got really excited. Laurence and Dave were jumping around with glee.
The massive bonfire prior to being lit. Apparently, they have been building this for weeks. It was bigger than a two story house. You can see Guy Fawkes as the black and white figure.
The flames went up. They were well above the surrounding trees. It was probably close to 80 feet high....this would not go so well in California.
After a getting a hamburger and a ginger beer, we stood by the hot, hot fire.
Then the fireworks started.They were great but the music went from classical to Imogen Heap to Abba. Instead of being called a DJ, they called him a maestro.
It was such a great night celebrating an English holiday. I think I want to bring this bonfire night home with me so I can celebrate every fifth of November.
I am so blessed to have such awesome friends here. I'm starting to get to know them really well which is great but the sad thing is it will make leaving even harder. I guess I'll have to come back. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails